Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- Caledonia Cooperative School District Election – May 4, 2021 – UNOFFICIAL RESULTS – BARNET ONLY
- School District Election – Tuesday, May 4. Caledonia Cooperative School District Annual Meeting Election by Australian ballot. Polling hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Barnet Fire & Rescue Station (151 Bimson Drive). Click the links below for more information:
- Homestead Declaration Filing Deadline Extended to May 17. The Vermont personal income tax filing due date for tax year 2020 has been extended to May 17, 2021. This extension also applies to Homestead Declarations and Property Tax Credit Claims. Taxpayers can file these along with their personal income tax return by May 17 without penalty or interest. The Town of Barnet will assess a penalty in the maximum percentages allowable pursuant to 32 V.S.A. § 5410(g) for 2021 Homestead Declarations filed after May 17, 2021, and other non-compliance of Homestead Declaration filing requirements. A Homestead Declaration must be filed with the Vermont Department of Taxes each year by every Vermont resident whose property meets the definition of a homestead. A Vermont Homestead is the principal dwelling and parcel of land surrounding the dwelling, owned and occupied by a resident individual as the individual’s domicile April 1. Visit the Vermont Department of Taxes website for more information: https://tax.vermont.gov/property-owners/homestead-declaration
- Dog Licensing Due April 1. The Town Clerk’s Office continues to issue 2021 dog licenses. Please submit payment of the fee (including late fees: $11.00 for spayed/neutered dogs and $17.00 for others) and a current rabies vaccination certificate via mail (Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821) or in the drop box at the front of the Town Clerk’s Office (1743 US Route 5 South). The Town Clerk’s Office in turn will mail the license and tag.
- 2021 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Schedule & Northeast Kingdom Waste Management District Calendar now available. Click the links below.
- 2021 Town Meeting Australian Ballot Vote: click here for UNOFFICIAL results
- Village Center Designation for Four Barnet Villages. The Vermont Downtown Development Board has designated Passumpsic, Barnet Village, McIndoe Falls, and West Barnet Village as state-recognized village centers. This designation makes properties in these centers eligible for state benefits, including financial incentives, training, and technical assistance needed to attract new business and vitality. To learn more, please visit the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development website
- CLOSED – BARNET TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE
As of Tuesday, November 17, the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office will again be closed to the general public until further notice. This change is in response to the recent acceleration in transmission of COVID-19 and in compliance with Addendum 8 to Executive Order 01-20 signed by Vermont Governor Philip Scott 13 November 2020. Please visit the Town’s COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information. If you have questions please call the Town Clerk’s Office at 802-633-2256 or email at email@example.com.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Response. In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, the Town government has changed normal operations to keep residents, employees, and Town officers safe. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.