Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- AUSTRALIAN BALLOT WILL REPLACE TOWN MEETING GATHERING
- Barnet’s 2021 Town Meeting (March 2nd) will be held by Australian ballot: there will be no actual meeting.
- Absentee ballots for the Town Meeting election are now available.
- There will be an informational hearing (via electronic forum) to discuss articles appearing on the warning on Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 7:00 p.m.
- Town Meeting documents available below.
- Due to COVID-19 restrictions and precautions, and with authority granted by Act 162 of the Vermont Legislature, the Selectboard voted to hold the 2021 Annual Town Meeting via Australian Ballot rather than a floor vote. There will be no actual meeting; voters will vote a private ballot as they do for State and Federal elections. Polling hours will be Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at the Barnet Fire & Rescue Station (151 Bimson Drive) from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Absentee ballots are now available from the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office.
You can request a ballot in the following ways:
a. Through the Vermont Elections Division Absentee Voting page.
b. Call the Town Clerk’s Office at 802-633-2256 or the remote Town Clerk’s Office at (802) 633-2252.
c. Email the Town Clerk’s Office at email@example.com
- An informational hearing, via electronic forum – on Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. – will allow voters to discuss the articles appearing on the warning, although they will not be able to make any changes to them. To access the hearing:
a. You can join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone at https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/434153469
b. You can also dial in using your phone:
United States (Toll Free): 1 877 309 2073
United States: +1 (646) 749-3129
Access Code: 434-153-469 (if prompted for an audio PIN, just dial #)
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/434153469
- ATV Ordinance Review – March 8, 2021. The Barnet Selectboard will perform its annual review of the town’s Ordinance for Regulating All-Terrain Vehicles at its regular meeting to be held Monday, March 8, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. via GoToMeeting online/telephone/video conference. Included in this review will be the consideration of which town highways or portions thereof ATV travel will be permitted upon during the 2021 season. Town highways under consideration include: Anderson St, Barnet Center Rd, Bony Woods Rd, Brook Hill Rd, Chamberlain Rd, Cloud Brook Rd, Ferguson Rd, Garland Hill Rd, Gilfillan Rd, Goss Hill Rd, Joe’s Brook Rd, Keyser Hill Rd, Knights Ln, Little Scotland Rd, McLaren Hill Rd, Morse’s Mill Rd, Roy Mountain Rd, Water Andric Rd, West Barnet Rd, West Main St, and Whitehill Rd. Proposed 2021 town highway access is the same as was approved in 2020. A map of proposed town highway access is below. Access information for the GoToMeeting online/telephone/video conference, when available, can be found at the Selectboard meeting page.
Map of Town Highway Access Requested
- CLOSED – BARNET TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE
As of Tuesday, November 17, the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office will again be closed to the general public until further notice. This change is in response to the recent acceleration in transmission of COVID-19 and in compliance with Addendum 8 to Executive Order 01-20 signed by Vermont Governor Philip Scott 13 November 2020. Please visit the Town’s COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information. If you have questions please call the Town Clerk’s Office at 802-633-2256 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Response. In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, the Town government has changed normal operations to keep residents, employees, and Town officers safe. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- Village Center Designation for Four Barnet Villages. The Vermont Downtown Development Board has designated Passumpsic, Barnet Village, McIndoe Falls, and West Barnet Village as state-recognized village centers. This designation makes properties in these centers eligible for state benefits, including financial incentives, training, and technical assistance needed to attract new business and vitality. To learn more, please visit the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development website
- Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.