Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- Property Taxes Due Saturday, October 19, 2019. Property taxes for the Town of Barnet are due on Saturday, October 19, 2019. Payments received after the close of business on October 19, 2019 will be subject to penalty and interest charges. Postmarks will not be used for determining timely payment. The Town Clerk’s Office will be open on Saturday, October 19, 2019 from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. to accept payments.
- Annual Review of Snowmobile Travel on Town Highways – October 28, 2019. The Barnet Selectboard will perform its annual review of the town highways, or portions thereof, upon which snowmobile travel will be permitted during the forthcoming snowmobile season. This review will be performed at the Selectboard’s regular meeting to be held Monday, October 28, 2019 at 7:00 p.m. at the Town Clerk’s Office. Town highways under consideration include: Laird Road, Somerhill Road, Stevenson Road, and West Main Street.
- Transfer Station & Recycling Center Summer Hours End. Wednesday hours at the Transfer Station & Recycling Center have ended for the summer season. The facility is now open only on Saturdays from 8 a.m to 3 p.m. Expanded summer hours will re-commence after Memorial Day 2020.
- Municipal Building Project Website Launched – www.barnetmunicipalvt.org Please visit the site to learn more about the project’s purpose and scope, and the different options for building or remodeling – and to share your thoughts!
- Village Center Designation for Four Barnet Villages. The Vermont Downtown Development Board has designated Passumpsic, Barnet Village, McIndoe Falls, and West Barnet Village as state-recognized village centers. This designation makes properties in these centers eligible for state benefits, including financial incentives, training, and technical assistance needed to attract new business and vitality. To learn more, please visit the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development website.
- 2019 Dog Licenses due April 1 – Still available after due date. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1. Fees, including late fees, are $11.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $17.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. Licenses may be obtained:
- Through the mail – Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821 (please send rabies certificate and a check in the amount of the fee), or
- At the Town Clerk’s Office during normal weekday hours (9 a.m.-noon & 1-4:30 p.m.).
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.