Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- ATTENTION BARNET CANDIDATES FOR LOCAL OFFICE – 2021 TOWN MEETING BY AUSTRALIAN BALLOT – CONSENT OF CANDIDATE FORMS DUE JANUARY 25
Barnet’s 2021 Town Meeting will be held by Australian ballot. There will be no floor meeting; nominations will not be made from the floor. All candidates for local office must submit a consent of candidate form to the Town Clerk by Monday, January 25, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Consent of candidate forms are available at: https://sos.vermont.gov/media/8d8adbde08e5b8f/local-candidate-consent-for-2021.pdf
No petition signatures are required for 2021 per Act 162. Please submit your completed consent of candidate form to Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821, drop off in the drop box at the front of the Town Clerk’s Office, or email to email@example.com (with hard copy following). Call (802) 633-2252 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.Barnet elected offices for 2021 are as follows:
– Moderator (one-year term)
– Selectboard Member (three-year term)
– Town Clerk (three-year term)
– Treasurer (three-year term)
– Lister (three-year term)
– Auditor (three-year term)
– Collector of Delinquent Tax (one-year term)
– First Constable (two-year term)
– Second Constable (two-year term)
– Grand Juror (one-year term)
– Town Agent (one-year term)
– Trustee of Public Funds (three-year term)
– Library Trustee (five-year term)
- CLOSED – BARNET TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE
As of Tuesday, November 17, the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office will again be closed to the general public until further notice. This change is in response to the recent acceleration in transmission of COVID-19 and in compliance with Addendum 8 to Executive Order 01-20 signed by Vermont Governor Philip Scott 13 November 2020. Please visit the Town’s COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information. If you have questions please call the Town Clerk’s Office at 802-633-2256 or email at email@example.com.
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Response. In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, the Town government has changed normal operations to keep residents, employees, and Town officers safe. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- Justice of the Peace Election Results: Vote Count for Seven Election Justices:
Candidate Vote Total 1 Shellie Samuels 741 2 William Graves 694 3 Susan Jensen 679 4 Rebecca Boardman 663 5 Dennis Kauppila 590 6 Maurice Roberts 138 7 Salvatore DeMaio 62
- Village Center Designation for Four Barnet Villages. The Vermont Downtown Development Board has designated Passumpsic, Barnet Village, McIndoe Falls, and West Barnet Village as state-recognized village centers. This designation makes properties in these centers eligible for state benefits, including financial incentives, training, and technical assistance needed to attract new business and vitality. To learn more, please visit the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development website
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.