Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- Property taxes due Saturday, October 20, 2018. Property taxes for the Town of Barnet are due on Saturday, October 20, 2018. Payments received after the close of business on October 20, 2018 will be subject to penalty and interest charges. Postmarks will not be used for determining timely payment. The Town Clerk’s Office will be open on Saturday, October 20, 2018 from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. to accept payments.
- Homestead Declarations due April 17, 2018. A Homestead Declaration (Vermont Department of Taxes form HS-122) must be filed each year by every Vermont resident whose property meets the definition of a homestead. A Vermont Homestead is the principal dwelling and parcel of land surrounding the dwelling, owned and occupied by a resident individual as the individual’s domicile April 1. The due date for filing 2018 Homestead Declarations is April 17, 2018. The Town of Barnet will assess a penalty in the maximum percentages allowable pursuant to 32 V.S.A. § 5410(g) for 2018 Homestead Declarations filed after April 17, 2018, and other non-compliance of this Homestead Declaration filing requirement.
- 2018 Dog Licenses past due. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1. Licenses continued to be issued after the due date. Fees, including late fee, are $11.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $17.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. Licenses may be obtained:
- Through the mail – Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821 (please send rabies certificate and a check in the amount of the fee), or
- At the Town Clerk’s Office during normal weekday hours (9 a.m.-noon & 1-4:30 p.m.).
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.