Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- 2019 Dog Licenses due April 1. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1. Fees are $9.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $13.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. Licenses may be obtained:
- Through the mail – Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821 (please send rabies certificate and a check in the amount of the fee), or
- At the Town Clerk’s Office during normal weekday hours (9 a.m.-noon & 1-4:30 p.m.).
- At a rabies clinic to be held at the Ryegate Small Animal Hospital on Thursday, March 21, 2019 from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Homestead Declaration Filing Deadline – April 15, 2019. A Homestead Declaration (Vermont Department of Taxes form HS-122) must be filed each year by every Vermont resident whose property meets the definition of a homestead. A Vermont Homestead is the principal dwelling and parcel of land surrounding the dwelling, owned and occupied by a resident individual as the individual’s domicile April 1. The due date for filing 2019 Homestead Declarations is April 15, 2019. The Town of Barnet will assess a penalty in the maximum percentages allowable pursuant to 32 V.S.A. § 5410(g) for 2019 Homestead Declarations filed after April 15, 2019, and other non-compliance of this Homestead Declaration filing requirement.
- Town Report Availability. The Annual Report of the Town of Barnet for the year ending December 31, 2018 is now available and may be picked up at the Town Clerk’s Office, Barnet Public Library, West Barnet Quick Stop, and Paul’s Whistle Stop. Also available as a PDF download at the Town Report page.
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.