Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- Selectboard Meeting cancelled. The regular Selectboard meeting scheduled for Monday, June 27, 2016 has been cancelled.
- Barnet Center Road closed to through-traffic. A section of Barnet Center Road will be closed to through-traffic due to culvert installation from June 20 to approximately June 24. The section begins at Barnet Center Road’s intersection with Little France Road, and runs northeasterly to its intersection with Joe’s Brook Road.
- Listers Publish Grand List – Grievances to be Heard. The Board of Listers has published the Grand List abstract for 2016. It is available for inspection at the Town Clerk’s Office. The Listers will hear grievances from this Grand List on Thursday, June 23 and Friday, June 24 at the Town Clerk’s Office from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. In order for a grievance to be heard the taxpayer must contact the Listers’ office or Town Clerk’s Office no later than Wednesday, June 22 to schedule a hearing. For more information please see the Notice to Taxpayers.
- Transfer Station & Recycling Center summer hours begin June 1. From June 1 through August 31 the Transfer Station & Recycling Center will be open on Wednesdays from 3 to 7 p.m., in addition to normal year-round Saturday hours (8 a.m. to 3 p.m.). Summer hours apply annually on the Wednesdays between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
- 2016 Dog Licenses past due. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1. Even though it is now past the due date, you can and are required to obtain a dog license for all dogs you own in the Town of Barnet. Fees, including the late fee, this year are $11.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $17.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. Licenses may be obtained:
- Through the mail – Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821 (please send rabies certificate and a check in the amount of the fee), or
- At the Town Clerk’s Office during normal weekday hours (9 a.m.-noon & 1-4:30 p.m.).
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.