Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Response. In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, the Town government has changed normal operations to keep residents, employees, and Town officers safe. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
CLOSED – BARNET TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE
As of Monday, March 16, the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office will be closed to the public until further notice. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- 2020 Dog Licenses Past Due, but Licenses Continue to be Issued. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1, and is now past due. Licensing is still required and licenses continue to be issued. Fees, including late fees, are $11 for spayed or neutered dogs and $17.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. This year licensing must be done through the mail. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- Results: Town Meeting Day Australian Ballot Election (Town Office Building borrowing) – 3 March 2020:
- Article 1 passes; Articles 2 does not pass. Click the link below for details.
- Municipal Building Project Website Launched – www.barnetmunicipalvt.org Please visit the site to learn more about the project’s purpose and scope, and the different options for building or remodeling – and to share your thoughts!
- Homestead Declaration Filing Deadline – April 15. A Homestead Declaration (Vermont Department of Taxes form HS-122) must be filed each year by every Vermont resident whose property meets the definition of a homestead. A Vermont Homestead is the principal dwelling and parcel of land surrounding the dwelling, owned and occupied by a resident individual as the individual’s domicile April 1. The due date for filing 2020 Homestead Declarations is April 15, 2020. The Town of Barnet will assess a penalty in the maximum percentages allowable pursuant to 32 V.S.A. § 5410(g) for 2020 Homestead Declarations filed after April 15, 2020, and other non-compliance of this Homestead Declaration filing requirement.
- Village Center Designation for Four Barnet Villages. The Vermont Downtown Development Board has designated Passumpsic, Barnet Village, McIndoe Falls, and West Barnet Village as state-recognized village centers. This designation makes properties in these centers eligible for state benefits, including financial incentives, training, and technical assistance needed to attract new business and vitality. To learn more, please visit the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development website
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.