Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
Bridge Street bridge closed September 18 and 24. The Bridge Street bridge in Passumpsic Village will be closed Friday, September 18th and Thursday, September 24th due to repairs and paving work. The work will start around 6 a.m. and continue throughout the day. Suggested detours are Old Silo Road to and from East Barnet and River Road to and from St. Johnsbury. Thank you for your patience.
- Property Tax Bills Issued. Tax bills were mailed Friday, September 4. The Town Clerk’s Office remains open by appointment only, so please mail your payment by check. If you would like a receipt, please mail the entire bill and include a self-address stamped envelope with your payment. Payment is due October 17.
- Unofficial Vermont Primary Election Results – BARNET ONLY. Click the link below for preliminary, unofficial Barnet results for the primary election held August 11, 2020.
- Official Return of Votes – Caledonia Cooperative School District Election – 30 June 2020 (Barnet only)
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Response. In response to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic, the Town government has changed normal operations to keep residents, employees, and Town officers safe. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
CLOSED – BARNET TOWN CLERK’S OFFICE
As of Monday, March 16, the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office will be closed to the public until further notice. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- Transfer Station/Recycling Center Summer Hours. The hours of operation of the Transfer Station/Recycling Center for the period of May 27, 2020 through September 2, 2020 (between Memorial Day and Labor Day) will expand to include Wednesdays, as follows:
- Wednesdays: 3-7 PM
- Saturdays: 8 AM- 3 PM
- 2020 Dog Licenses Past Due, but Licenses Continue to be Issued. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1, and is now past due. Licensing is still required and licenses continue to be issued. Fees, including late fees, are $11 for spayed or neutered dogs and $17.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. This year licensing must be done through the mail. Please visit the COVID-19 Coronavirus page for more information.
- Village Center Designation for Four Barnet Villages. The Vermont Downtown Development Board has designated Passumpsic, Barnet Village, McIndoe Falls, and West Barnet Village as state-recognized village centers. This designation makes properties in these centers eligible for state benefits, including financial incentives, training, and technical assistance needed to attract new business and vitality. To learn more, please visit the Vermont Agency of Commerce and Community Development website
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.