Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.
Town news & announcements:
- Property taxes due October 15. Property taxes for the Town of Barnet are due on Saturday, October 15, 2016. Payments received after the close of business on October 15, 2016 will be subject to penalty and interest charges. Postmarks will not be used for determining timely payment. The Town Clerk’s Office will be open on Saturday, October 15, 2016 from 9:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. to accept payments.
- Harvey’s Lake Water Level Lowering. The water level of Harvey’s Lake will be lowered during the period of October 12 through October 26. It is expected that the lowest water level will occur on or around October 19.
- Transfer Station & Recycling Center summer hours ended. The Transfer Station & Recycling Center no longer open on Wednesdays. Summer hours (Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. in addition to normal year-round Saturday hours of 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.) apply annually on the Wednesdays between Memorial Day and Labor Day. The Transfer Station & Recycling Center has now returned to its Saturday-only hours.
- 2016 Dog Licenses past due. Licensing of all dogs is due annually on April 1. Even though it is now past the due date, you can and are required to obtain a dog license for all dogs you own in the Town of Barnet. Fees, including the late fee, this year are $11.00 for spayed or neutered dogs and $17.00 for others. A valid rabies vaccination certificate must accompany payment of fee. Licenses may be obtained:
- Through the mail – Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821 (please send rabies certificate and a check in the amount of the fee), or
- At the Town Clerk’s Office during normal weekday hours (9 a.m.-noon & 1-4:30 p.m.).
Town Clerk’s Office Closures. Please see the Town Clerk’s Office page for up-to-date information.