Home

Welcome to the Town of Barnet
Barnet is a small Connecticut River town chartered in 1763 and settled between 1770 and 1773. Its five villages are Barnet Village, East Barnet, West Barnet, McIndoe Falls, and Passumpsic.

Town news & announcements:

Proposed Revised Town Plan in Adoption Process. The Planning Commission has proposed a revised Town Plan. It will now be delivered to the Selectboard for their consideration. A public hearing (date to be announced) will then be held, and the Selectboard will amend, with public input, then adopt the Town Plan. Click the link below for an electronic version of the proposed revised plan.
20 May 2015 Draft of Proposed Revised Town Plan

Transfer Station & Recycling Center Summer Hours. The hours of operation of the Transfer Station/Recycling Center for the period of May 27, 2015 through September 2, 2015 will be Wednesdays 3-7 p.m. and Saturdays 8 a.m. – 3 p.m. This facility is for the disposal of waste generated by residents and taxpayers within the Town of Barnet. A sticker is required for use of this facility, and can be obtained at the Barnet Town Clerk’s Office or at the Transfer Station. The Town Clerk’s Office also has a listing of items that are acceptable for recycling. Fees for disposal of household refuse shall be $1.00 for a 13 gallon bag, $2.00 for a 30 gallon bag, $3.00 for a 42 gallon bag, $5.00 for a 55 gallon bag, or $15.00 per cubic yard. There is no charge for disposal of recycling.

Harvey’s Lake Public Beach now hiring.  Please visit www.harveyslakebeach.net for details and application form.

Revised Annual Review of Ordinance for Regulating All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) – April 27, 2015. At its regular meeting held April 27, 2015, the Selectboard revised its annual review of the town’s Ordinance for Regulating All-Terrain Vehicles originally adopted at its regular meeting held March 23, 2015. The only change between the original access granted and the revised access is the revocation (at the ATV Club’s request) of the restricted Club access on portions of Barnet Center Road, Goss Hill Road, Little France Road, and Warden Road.  All or portions of the following Town Highways continue to be approved for ATV travel: Anderson St, Barnet Center Rd, Bony Woods Rd, Brook Hill Rd, Chamberlain Rd, Cloud Brook Rd, Ferguson Rd, Garland Hill Rd, Gilfillan Rd, Goss Hill Rd, Joe’s Brook Rd, Keyser Hill Rd, Knights Ln, Little France Rd, Little Scotland Rd, McLaren Hill Rd, Morse’s Mill Rd, Roy Mountain Rd, Water Andric Rd, West Barnet Rd, West Main St, and Whitehill Rd. See below for a map of the revised approved road access.
Revised 2015 ATV Town Highway Access

Adoption of Newly Revised Animal Control Ordinance. At its duly warned meeting on March 23, 2015, the Selectboard has amended the Ordinance for the Control of Dogs adopted June 7, 1982 and the Animal Control Ordinance adopted February 23, 2015. Please note that this is a revision of the ordinance that appeared in February. Section 6 of the February ordinance is the only section revised; the revisions are as summarized in the minutes of the Selectboard meeting held March 9, 2015. Please click the link below for the complete text of the newly amended ordinance, including an official notice containing details about the voters’ right to petition for a Town Meeting to vote on the ordinance. Please note that, due to the new adoption date, new dates apply for the deadline to petition and effective date.
Animal Control Ordinance adopted March 23, 2015

2015 Dog Licenses Past Due, but Still Available! The licensing of dogs was due on April 1, 2015. You can still obtain a license, however, with a small delinquency fee. Late licenses cost $10.00 for spayed or neutered dogs (including a $2.00 late fee) and $16.00 for others (including a $4.00 late fee). A valid rabies certificate must be presented. Licenses may be purchased through the mail (Town of Barnet, PO Box 15, Barnet, VT  05821), or at the Town Clerk’s Office during normal weekday hours (M-F: 9 a.m. to Noon & 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.)

Digital Town Report Now Available! Click the links at the bottom of this page for a PDF copy of the Annual Report for the year ending December 31, 2014. For slower connection speeds, a smaller Zip (compressed) file containing the PDF is also available.

Town Clerk’s Office Closures
The Town Clerk’s Office will be closed on the following up-coming dates:
– Monday, May 25, 2015 – Memorial Day
– Friday, July 3, 2015 – Independence Day (observed)

Now Available for Download:

2014 Town Report (PDF File)
2014 Town Report (Zip File)

2013 Town Report (PDF File)
2013 Town Report (Zip File)

2012 Town Report (PDF File)
2012 Town Report (Zip File)

2011 Flooding Report (PDF File)
2011 Flooding Report (Zip File)